Welcome to the Online Virtual Flora of Wisconsin
What is this plant?
Click here to test your knowledge
This site is a collaborative effort between the herbaria of the UW-Madison (WIS) and the UW-Steven's Point (UWSP), along with most of the other herbaria located in the state of Wisconsin. It contains information on each of the more than 2600 vascular plant species that occurs in Wisconsin, including photos, distribution maps, specimen records, and more.
- Enter a genus, species, or common name to view the species description pages.
- View detailed species descriptions, photos, interactive maps, and links to specimen records and additional information.
- See Advanced Searches tab above to Search for Specimen Records and to Browse the Image Library.
- Search, view, and download nearly 400,000 in-state herbarium specimen records and thousands of images.
Checklists (e.g., County Floras, Wildflowers by Color) are under development. Take a look or create your own!
NOTE: 'Interactive Maps' will plot only collections with known GPS localities.
- New layouts for the Taxon Profile Pages.
- Changes to the way images are displayed.
- Updates to the spatial module with new map layers and functionality.
- Updating the photos with new higher resolution images.
- Adding dichotomous keys from the ongoing work on the Flora of Wisconsin.
- Updating the county level maps.