Etymology: Prunus: ancient Latin name for the plum
Plants: perennial tree
Conservation Status: Native
- tall shrub or small tree
- branches bearing stout spines
- flowers white, occassionally streaked with pink, 1-3(4) in sessile umbels
- petals 9-14 mm
- margins of sepals lined with glands or glandular serrations
- leaves less than or equal to twice as long as wide
- leaf serrations rounded and with a dark sessile gland embedded in the summit
- fruit 2-3 cm diam.
Floristic Rating: Coefficient of Conservatism = 6, Wetland Indicator = FACU- USDA Plants Database: Federal Distribution and detailed information including photos University of Wisconsin - Green Bay: Trees: Photos, descriptions, information USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS): Images of seeds, fruits, embryos, etc.